Modern Baroda is a fitting memorial to its former ruler, Sayaji Rao Gaekwad III (1875-1939 AD). It was his dream to make Baroda city into an educational, industrial and commercial center. Baroda is situated on the banks of the river Vishwamitri (named after Rishi Vishwamitra). The city, formerly called Chandravati after its ruler Raja Chandan, then Viravati meaning the abode of the brave, and then Vadpatra due to the abundance of banyan trees here. From Vadpatra it derived its final name Baroda or Vadodara. Baroda has a rich historical background that can trace back to 2000 years and more. The city came to an end in 1732, when Pilaji the Maratha leader who brought their activities to Southern Gujarat and captured it. Baroda continued to be in the hands of the Gaekwads, except for some time, from 1734 to 1949.